Oddball Art Stamps - Technique a Week - Adding Digis to Canvas

Technique A Week
Today it's my pleasure to share with you a project I've created for the Technique a Week feature over at Oddball Art Stamps

This week I want to talk about how to add Digis to a Canvas.

Last month I talked about Gesso, and that's one of a few mediums you can use to adhere your Digis to your canvas.

You can simply paint a coat of Gesso on your canvas, on the back of your image and place it where you want whilst the Gesso is still wet, make sure there are no air bubbles underneath your image, then add another layer of Gesso over it to seal it.  That's the simple way of doing it.

You can do exactly the same process with either a Matte Gel Medium or Gloss Gel Medium.  However if you do it with Gel Mediums, then you need to colour your image before adding it to the Canvas, as it's much more difficult to colour over Gel Mediums.  It can be done but your colour may come off if you get any wet medium over your image.   This is a great technique if your want to do some sort of Resist technique.

For today's technique, I decided to try another way of adding my image to the canvas, by way of transfering my image.

Here's a quick step by step to show you how i got along.

Step 1 - Choose your image and print it out, if it has text you'll need to flip your image (I forgot to do this, so will add the text using the previous Gesso technique I mentioned) I used Astrid the Fairy image #297


Step 2 - I started to create my canvas background by collaging some patterned paper and old book pages.


Step 3 - Add some colour to your canvas, I used Acrylic paints. 


Step 4 - I added a coat of Gesso and my sentiment to the Canvas.  I added some extra Gesso to the area I wanted to place my image, and applied a coat of Gesso to the front of my image, I applied the image to the canvas whilst the Gesso was still wet.  I then rubbed my image down to make sure there were no air bubbles.  And left it to dry for a couple of hours.


Step 5 - I damped the paper on the back of my image, and started to rub the paper away, I found a baby wipe worked quite nicely for this step.


Step 6 - All the paper is now rubbed off.  Unfortunately I was a little over enthusiastic with my rubbing, and rubbed away part of my image, but it was still good enough to work with.  I think I should have probably left my image overnight to dry before rubbing the paper off, and that might have prevented the image rubbing in places.


Step 7 - I added more Acrylic paint to my canvas.


Step 8 - I coloured my image with Faber Castell PITT Pens and Prismacolour Coloured Pencils, and added back in the line details with a Fineliner.

I added more layers of Gesso and Acrylic paint to my Canvas. I added some Black Acrylic paint with drywall tape to added a little pattern, and edged my canvas with the same paint.


Step 9 - To finish my canvas I added some Glitter, Mica and Shaved Ice from a Frantage set from Stampendous.  I also added some tiny stars in pink and orange, which came in the cutest wee glass bottles from The Works.

Here's a couple of close ups of the finished Canvas;


I hope you like my canvas, I'm really pleased with how it turned out.  I hope you have found this post useful, sorry it was so long, if you've any questions about the techniques I've mentioned that I didn't fully explain, then please leave a question in the comment sections, and i'll happily answer it to the best of my ability.


Want to see more projects featuring the wonderful art work of Lizzy Love then hop over to the Oddball Art Stamps Blog and check out the gorgeous creations from the rest of our design team.  You'll also find instructions on how to join in our challenge and win some awesome Oddball Art Stamps images.

Thanks for visiting with me today, and don't forget to use my discount code in the Oddball Art Stamps Etsy store to get 10% off your purchase; DTSUZI10

Thank you for your time 
Happy Crafting
Bye for now
Suzi
xxx

Comments

crafty-stamper said…
Brilliant canvas and great step by step have often wondered about adding digis to canvas-fabulous result love all the sparkle too----Thank you for joining us at A Inky Mess
Carol DT x
Sammy said…
fabulous! Love the texture and how you layered it all to get that lovely result in the end! Thank you for sharing with us at Altered Eclectics this month. Sammy-x